Dear Colleagues,                                                                                                  October 8, 2019

There has been a change this year - you are encouraged but no longer required to have CPR training in order to be Epipen trained.  See below for details.


In Unity,



Teachers often ask the PFT, “Do I have to be Epipen trained?”


Answer:  Teachers may volunteer to be Epipen trained (Ed Code 49414 (d)).  It cannot be required.  Staff no longer need to be CPR certified to receive Epi-pen training.  PUSD still highly encourages staff to maintain CPR certification as this is best practice, but any staff member willing and able to be trained can receive Epi-pen training.

Everyone understands the desire to care for our students who may require the administration of an Epipen for a field trip.  Collaborating as a staff is an effective way to decide how this will be accomplished.   Here are some options other staffs have used and shared with PFT (in no particular order):


Willing teachers can be Epipen trained


Parents can be encouraged to come on the field trip (parent cannot be forced; child cannot be denied access to field trip, nor can teacher/other children in grade level be denied access to the trip due to the teacher not being trained)


A sub can be hired for the health tech so he/she (a trained person) can go on the field trip


The principal can go on the field trip (if trained)


Another trained teacher in the grade level can "cover" for that child if the child’s teacher is not trained

Information that has been shared with us about covering costs:  Teachers can pay to be CPR trained if they wish; however, they cannot be required to pay, as they are not required to be trained at all.  Site funds may be used to pay for any of the above that incur costs.  Possible funding sources:  PTA, Foundation, or other site funds.   Sites may choose to pass the cost of a sub on to all parents in the total field trip cost, to allow trained personnel to attend the field trip.


Educators often ask the PFT, “Do I have to administer Diastat for students who suffer from seizures?”

Answer:  Senate Bill 161 authorizes a school district, in the absence of a credentialed school nurse or other licensed nurse onsite at the school, to provide school employees with voluntary emergency medical training to provide emergency medical assistance to pupils with epilepsy suffering from seizures. Specifically, SB 161 prohibits a school employee from being required to provide emergency medical assistance unless that employee volunteers and has been trained pursuant to this bill. 

We recognize that it is critically important to be able to administer appropriate emergency care quickly to anyone suffering an epileptic seizure.  It is our understanding that our district obtains volunteers by emailing all school site personnel asking for volunteers.  Receiving an email to volunteer does not mean it's a requirement.

Kelly Logan

Thank you for visiting our website.  If you have an questions, please contact us


Contact Us

Poway Federation of Teachers Local 2357
11031 Via Frontera, Suite A
San Diego, CA  92127
(858)674-2805 fax